A+ Exam Facts
|Required exams:||220-901 and 220-902|
|Exam Vouchers:||A+ vouchers may be used for either exam|
|Number of questions:||Maximum of 90 for each exam|
|Type of questions:||May include:
|Length of test:||90 minutes for each exam|
|Passing score:||220-901: 675 (scale 100-900) 220-902: 700 (scale 100-900)|
|Cert timeframe:||Valid for three years from the date of certification. Certified for life if certified on or before Dec 31, 2010.|
|Cert Renewal:||See CompTIA Continuing Ed Program|
Exam NewsA+ Certification exams 220-901 and 220-902 were released December 15, 2015.
A+ Certification exams 220-801 and 220-802 retired June 30, 2016.
You must pass two exams from the same series (801/802 or 901/902) to become certified. CompTIA does NOT support mixing exam series. If you passed either 801 or 802, but did not pass the other 80x series exam by June 30, 2016, you’ll now have to take the 901 and 902 exams to become certified.
90x series changes include, but are not limited to:
- Removal of Windows XP
- Full incorporation of Windows 8 (but not Win 10)
- Mac OS X and Linux added
- More coverage of mobile android and iOS configuration/troubleshooting
- More coverage of mobile hardware and component ID and configuration
- More security concepts, including mobile and OS-specific security
- Printers and multifunctional devices coverage moved to 901 Hardware
- Security: Supporting and Securing access to data by properly using authentication, access control and encryption for an organization. Help desk and technical support professionals form one of the first lines of defense for any organization.
- Networking: Applying core concepts and protocols such as IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, and subnet mask to set up and support wired and wireless networks.
- Operating Systems: Working with mobile, server and traditional operating systems from Android and iOS to Windows and Linux.
- IT Operations: Utilizing the basics of virtualization, cloud computing, desktop imaging and deployment to support today’s IT infrastructures.
- Troubleshooting: Following and using decision trees for diagnosing, resolving and documenting common hardware and software issues across a variety of devices.
- Technical Support: Applying principles of customer service to help resolve IT issues
More Exam News901/902 Performance-Based Questions. The candidate will be given a scenario/problem, and will be prompted to push a button to launch a simulated environment that is created via software. The simulated environment should be familiar to a PC support professional with the level of hands-on experience recommended. Once the simulation is launched, the candidate will need to perform whatever tasks s/he believes appropriate, based on the given scenario and the tools/information provided in the question.
Other types of questions that may appear on the A+ certification exams include multiple choice, multiple responses, fill-in-the-blank, drag and drop, and exhibits.
How new question types are graded: Two important pieces of information about the drag-and-drop and performance-based questions that you need to know:
- Partial Credit: Scoring credit may be offered if a candidate answers only part of a question correctly.
- No Negative Credit: CompTIA does not employ negative scoring on exam questions. In other words, scoring credit is not taken away for incorrect answers. A candidate should answer every exam question, even on the ones where they are not sure of the answer.
What about a JOB?Companies such as Dell, Intel, Lenovo, and Ricoh require their computer technicians to have their A+ Certification. The Dept of Homeland Security requires A+ Certification in their computer forensics programs. Law enforcement agencies, such as the FBI, also seek candidates who have their A+ Certification. If a company has computers, they may need your skills. Make sure employers know you’re certified. The data from the Certification Magazine Salary Survey for 2015 shows the value of IT Certification. More importantly it shows the value of continuing to learn and add additional certifications to your resume.
- A+ certification only $47,500/year
- A+ with 1 or 2 other active certs $84,250
- A+ with 3 or 4 other active certs $92,080
- A+ with 5 or 6 other active certs $97,130
- A+ with 6 or 7 other active certs $105,150
A+ Total Sims Interactive SimulationsLearn technical concepts and Practice performance-based questions
$99.00SALE Buy Now
Total Tester CompTIA A+ Practice TestsBe ready with Total Tester! Review references to Mike’s books
$99.00SALE Buy Now
Mike Meyers A+ Video Training (2015 Objectives)If you like the book, you’ll love the movie! Available online or on DVD.
220-901: Domain and Percentage of Examination
- Hardware 34%
- Networking 21%
- Mobile Devices 17%
- Hardware & Network Troubleshooting 28%
- Win OS 29%
- Other OS/Technologies 12%
- Security 22%
- Software Troubleshooting 24%
- Operational Procedures 13%